Language Portrait Resources
Downloadable templates and resources to support home languages in your learning community.
My Language Portrait
This template can be used for students to reflect on and express how they see themselves through languages.
Me and My Languages
My Cultural Identities
This element involves students reflecting on who they are in relation to various aspects of identity explained in the video below. Students are encouraged to add whatever they value and is important to them and can create this identity map either on a pre made template as above or through any medium they choose.
Questions to pose and reflect on during the process.
- Which used languages are associated with learning, with social life and with family?
- What feelings and attitudes about languages are we uncovering?
- Which language does a student perceive is strongest or preferred in different contexts, for example while reading, speaking or in the arts or mathematics?
- What literacy experiences are revealed and in which contexts?
- What personal goals do students have for their continued language learning?
- How are languages connected to different aspects of their identities?
- What are the emotions strongly connected to language?